Money Saving Tips

Monday 9 February 2009

How I reduced my electricity usage by 10% and didn’t really notice the changes.

How I reduced my electricity usage by 10% and didn’t really notice the changes.

Below I have listed some simple yet effective steps that have reduced by electricity usage from an average of 10 KwH to 9 KwH per day.

1. As my old style bulbs blew I replaced them with the new low energy equivalents.

2. Did I really need three electric clocks in the Kitchen one on the windowsill, one inbuilt in the cooker and one inbuilt in the Microwave. Answer no so the cooker and microwave get turned off completely when not in use.

3. Turning the lights off when leaving a room.

4. Completely turning off items that go into standby when not in use, e.g. the television, DVD player, the wireless modem etc.

5. Only boiling enough water for the amount of drinks I was making instead of filling the kettle up.

As you can see not a big list but an easy one to do, but with a significant result, which has offset the continual rise in electricity costs. The hardest part was getting started and rembering to do it,now it is second nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment